THE LAST RIDE OF THE YEAR...



IF YOU LOVE PLAYING IN THE DIRT, PUSHING YOURSELF AND YOUR BIKE TO THE LIMIT, AND MOST OF ALL HAVING FUN... YOU WOULD HAVE LOVED HORSESHOE PROVINCIALS THIS YEAR. 


GETTING PUMPED. 

Before my race on Sunday, it took some time to get myself back into race mode. When you go back to school the first couple weeks are all about adjusting to your new schedule, remembering where you left off last year, and catching up with friends you haven't seen in a while...

For me the first couple of weeks were more about trying to squeeze in time for school while keeping up with my training!  Unfortunately, I caught a cold and had to stay home from school for a couple of days which did not help motivate me for my final XC race of the year. 

What finally got me going and thinking about this race was the fact that this was going to be my last ride on my bike. I had already sold the bike to a super keen rider who was going to take great care of her. But still I felt like I owed it to my bike to finish one last race, although not like other races, this time it wasn't just me giving it all I had, but my bike too. 

THE RACE.


It all began off the start line, rushing around the first sandy corner and straight into the mud pit. 

I stuck onto Paige's wheel for a little while until I felt my bike inching to go faster, I took off into the first single track excited to get to the next. The entire race I found myself eagerly waiting for the next corner, the next rock garden, and even the next hill. For once I was completely in a world where only my bike and I existed... here we could really push our limits... 

That first test arose on the service hill climb, an open double track climb that took you to the top of the downhill. I had just come out of a piece of muddy single track where I was running and very out of breath... but I kept up my cadence clenched my teeth and stomped up the hill. I finally made it to the downhill and my bike took over for a couple seconds to let me recover then we began our rhythm, lean, slide, accelerate... lean, slide, accelerate. This worked well coming down into the transition area. I felt fast, in control, and ready for my second lap. 

My second lap was very similar to my first although it really hurt running up the few un-ridable single track sections. Somehow I was able to keep pushing myself on every climb even if I wasn't going that fast. I kept looking down to my bike then looking ahead with a renewed level of determination. 

I finished my race smiling and proud to be able to say I got to ride the best bike in the world. Now someone else gets that privilege as well! 

Congratulations to all of the other girls who raced and to everyone who came out and got to ride! 



Thanks to Specialized Canada and Bikeland for being great supporters all season! Thanks to my coach Rob Holmgren for a great season, and thanks to my parents who were a huuuuuge help to me all season.. and for the past 16 years I might add! 


It's been a great year 2014 but here I come 2015 as a Junior Expert Rider!

- I AM SPECIALIZED 



 

"SOMEWHERE BEHIND THE ATHLETE YOU'VE BECOME AND THE HOURS OF PRACTICE AND THE COACHES WHO HAVE PUSHED YOU IS A LITTLE GIRL WHO FELL IN LOVE WITH THE GAME AND NEVER LOOKED BACK... PLAY FOR HER." -Mia Hamm


So one last time thank you to my bike for making me remember the little girl who fell in love with biking, who still hasn't looked back. 







Comments

Popular Posts