Worlds, Nationals, and a whole lot of traveling!!

Looking back now, I realize the past couple weeks have been some of the best moments of my life. From traveling to Europe with my best friends, racing my first MTB World Championship, then finishing off in Baie St. Paul at Nationals, it's been a pretty crazy block of racing and riding. 

This great adventure started on the 25th of June. I left along side my local teammates (Peter, Quinton, Soren, and Gunnar), first to Frankfurt, then Prague, then finally, Nove Mesto. The little town we stayed in provided us our own little oasis where we could explore and not get substantially lost... 

Race day approached quickly, and with every day of training I felt more eager to just do it. By the time I woke up on Friday, I was ready to race... Physically and mentally.

At the start line, I listened as the announcers yelled "30 seconds", and that's when the heartbeat began. 15 seconds to go... BAM. We went off quickly, and chaotically. 
The start lap was harsh, fast, and aggressive. Without much experience in such a field, I found myself at the back of the pack in about 45th, watching the leaders ride away. One moment of grief was all I allowed myself. But as we came through for our first lap, I shot the thought out of my mind and began my fight. Which is all you can do in such a situation. The energy from the enormous crowd inspired me to race my hardest and fight for every position. I began picking off places... I was sitting 28th going in for the final sprint and managed to maintain my position. I finished the race sprinting and later barely able to walk... What a race. 

After my race, I was able to watch all of the other categories and experience the entire world championships experience. The junior men's race was probably the most exciting, I got to watch their performances as they battled and amazed me throughout the race! Then the next day, being able to watch Emily Batty sprint for 3rd in the women's elite field, was not only one of the most exciting moments of my life, but empowering for myself as an aspiring cyclist. Way to show the world what you've got Emily!! 

Overall, Worlds was a life changing experience, with the roar of the crowd, the energy from the athletes, and the revamped motivation I mustered from my own race, was plenty to remind me what all of the hard work is for. I love this sport. 

Exploring Prague... 
The John Lennon wall!


After returning home, I soon boarded the Team Ontario bus headed for Baie St. Paul, Québec... Nationals time. 
Once we got riding the course I quickly found my rhythm and began coming up with my race plan... I felt ready and excited for a good fight. However, plans don't always work out the way you want them to... 10 minutes into the race I crashed and got the wind knocked out of me... unfortunately I was shaken mentally and physically and couldn't get my momentum back. I finished the race I unsatisfied, disappointed I couldn't bring it back.

Overall, it's been a crazy past couple of weeks, I've learned so much and have gained so much racing experience, now it's time for a couple more Ontario Cup races then.... CROSS TIME😈

Thank you to everyone who generously donated to my worlds trip and offered me their kind encouragement. I'm so lucky to be part of a community that supports me and reminds me how mountain biking can be so much fun! Thanks to my sponsors Angry Johnny's, Norco Bicycles, Garneau, and the Centurion Next Wave Cycling Team. 


Comments

Popular Posts