Canadian National Championships

This past week I have had the privilege of being a part of Team Ontario for the Canadian National Championships at Hardwood Ski and Bike. The goal of the Nationals project was to get familiar with the course and experience the week-long preparation needed with important races like Nationals. Right away, the team began by getting settled into our amazing home for the week, Forks in the Trail Bed and Breakfast, followed by an few laps of the race course! We settled into our daily schedules which involved pre-hab in the morning followed by a ride, then lunch, hanging out with the team, finally, resting for the remainder of the day. 

Race day, I found the usual pre-race butterflies were a little stronger than normal but my mind was focused. 
On the start line, I was anxious but ready to race, so when they finally called the start it was a relief to release my breaks and just take off up the start hill!!! 

First lap, I rode smoothly and confidently through the single track while pushing on the double track. I even managed to create a gap between second place and me. 

Going into bone shaker first lap, I took my first tumble (which wasn't too bad but enough to snap me back into focus). 

I knew I had a decent lead but I hammered up all of the climbs and ripped through single tracks. Second lap was going really well until after Disera's Drop, on the gap jump coming out onto the wide field... I jumped and landed fine except for my front wheel that landed in sand and just turned the whole bike sideways. My bike flew on top of me and then down the hill... and so did I! One way to describe it could be that 'my bike and I were spat out of the bush!! '

I tried to stay calm while checking myself and my bike, my bars were quite sideways and I was pretty cut up. While trying to fix my bars, Samantha Fuller, who was having an amazing race, in second place passed me and flew up the feed zone. 

Trying as hard as I could to stay calm I yanked my bars back into place jumped on my bike and took off after first place. 


I could feel my legs weren't quite the same as before the crash but I wanted to win and I knew I was going to fight for it. 

Pushing as hard as I could through the few trails I had left I managed to regain my position and get a good lead from the rest of the field. 

Crossing the line I was on cloud nine, grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't help myself from looking down at my bike and saying, "We did it. " 

Congratulations to all of my competitors for a great race, it was a tough race and it's safe to say all of the Cadet Expert Women rocked it Saturday! 

Thanks to Specialized and Bikeland for being great supporters as always, my coach Rob Holmgren, my parents, Sean Kelly, Brendan Arnold and the OCA for a great week. Thank you Hardwood Ski and Bike and Pulse Racing, Forks in the Trail Bed and Breakfast , the Back to Function team, Anne Guzeman and all of the Team Ontario Athletes for making it a great week!!!

And special thank you to my bike for being incredibly reliable/ trustworthy as always and for making me a better rider!!! 


Comments

Popular Posts